Sunday, January 17, 2016

Gold Polka Dots & Decals




Everyone's doing it.
Everyone's getting dottie. ♥

Polka dot decals are so much fun for a kids room.  While looking for nursery decor, it was everywhere. I was especially drawn to the metallic ones, but there are so many options out there right now.

Project Nursery


Trendy Peas

Hayes Etc.


HGTV

Decoist
Polka Dot Wall Stickers

Aren't they just fabulous?  Whimsical with a strong presence.  Perfectly paired with bright or soft colors, just ideal.  I love that they can be placed perfectly spaced or with abandon, in a random pattern.  Either way works great.

When trying to figure out my younger kids shared room, I struggled trying to tie the themes together. She is an 8 year old girl and he is a baby boy.  She likes horses and pink and he likes...well, blue and boy stuff to be determined.  One thing that I found in common was the light, seafoam blue that they each had in their bed spreads. 

Painting one wall light blue and keeping the others a khaki color, we added some Ikea leaf decals and printed some gold dottie decals on our sticker machine.  (I know, not everyone has a vinyl cutter but ours was leftover from our skate shop owning days and it comes in handy now and then.  You can easily buy the dotted decals right now, they are all over the web.) The gold decals we placed in a free form pattern.  Keeping them about 6" apart, eyeballed of course, at the top and gradually ending with them spaced about 12" apart at the bottom.  I wanted to have them look like they were falling and mingling with the leaves on the wall.

The furnishings are a mix of pieces.  Curtain rod is a piece of conduit and the curtains are paint drop clothes, making them a super cheap and airy window covering.  The crib was gifted and is on it's third, yes third, life. Headboard and side table are vintage; used by myself, my mother and also my grandmother.  Small shelves are IKEA, rug is from Hobby Lobby (don't forget to use the 40% off coupon).  Green cabinet on opposite wall is a scratch and dent from Sundance Outlet and little chair is IKEA.  My daughters bedding set is from Target and my son's crib bedding from The Land of Nod, making it the most expensive thing in the room.  

The result is magical and gender friendly.  A perfect place for a princess to grow or a royal prince to gaze upon.  It is my new favorite place in the house. ♥










No comments:

Post a Comment